Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Leftovers and the Empty Nest

Let me be honest.  Even after a couple of years, I still haven't gotten this "Cooking for Two" thing down.  So leftovers are a common occurrence around this place.  But between a husband who hates leftovers and sons who walk through the front door looking for food, I've come up with a couple tricks to take care of the problem!!

First...the husband who hates leftovers.  This solution is so easy I can't believe it took me so long to figure it out! I've finally learned to immediately freeze the leftovers!!  My husband enjoyed the meal the first time around and to be perfectly honest...he won't remember eating it a month from now when I pull it from the freezer!  Seems he only hates (or remembers) leftovers when he has to eat them within 72 hours of the original meal.  Now the exception to this would be spaghetti...which is always better the second day!

Now on to the kids.  I have no problem sending them home with food but not at the expense of my expensive storage containers or vintage glassware walking out the door never to be seen again!  The solution?  Pick up storage containers at your local dollar store.  They may not be sturdy enough for day to day use but they are perfect for sending food home with the kids.  And it won't make you cry if they disappear forever!  You can pick up pint sized containers in a four-pack for only a dollar and keep them on hand for when the kids come by.

So I guess it's back to that cooking for two thing for me...I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest