Monday, April 4, 2011

Common Courtesy

A few weeks ago, I read a letter in a national advice column regarding the plastic bars that go between customers' groceries at the store.  The writer wanted to know who's responsibility it was to place the bar.  Should the person in front place it behind their items...or the next person place it in advance of their groceries.

What I want to know is why is this even a question?  Shouldn't this be something done automatically as a common courtesy?  I actually stopped and consciously considered it yesterday at the store and realized I automatically place it behind my items.  This makes it easier on the next person, letting them know I've finished and they can start unloading their cart.  I actually put less thought into the actual action than the letter writer invested in their query.

I believe you place the bar.  I believe you hold the door for the person behind you, whether entering or leaving the store.  I believe if you see someone drop something, you pick it up and return it.  I believe you give up your seat to your elders.  I believe you let the pregnant woman skip in the line for the bathroom.  I believe whenever someone does any of the above for you...you say "Thank you".

Do any of these actions cost you anything?  Maybe a second or two of your time.  Is it worth it to make a fellow human being's day just a tad bit better?  Always!  These small actions make this world a better place to live, one second at a time.

Thank YOU for listening!

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that! I think the younger generation has forgotten the general courtesies that were drilled into our heads as youngsters! I canrt tell you how mamy times the person in front of me has let the door shut in my face, or has scooted around me when I opened the door for myseelf! I could go on for days, but yes, I do put down the bar after I finish my groceries ... even when there's no one behind me...

    ReplyDelete

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest