Monday, July 25, 2011

Going Gray

Ahhh, the gray debate!!  Probably one of the most vehement areas of contention between women empty-nesters!

Personally, I'm going gray.  Ok...maybe I need to be more honest.  Because of my coloring (born with red hair, darkened to ash blonde as I aged), I've managed to skip the gray altogether.  I do, however, have racing stripes down both sides of my head in bright, glow-in-the-dark white!  Which I shouldn't have been surprised by...it's the exact same way my father aged!

Now I've been told by numerous friends that I need to dye my hair so I look younger.  Really?  Like a simple dye job will magically make me appear less than my actual 49 years?  Or will it just make me appear like I'm desperately trying to hold on to a youth that is long gone?

Please understand, that is not a judgment of those who do feel the need to dye their hair.  It is always a personal choice.  There are also women in professions where gray hair is an unacceptable appearance for public duties.  Should it be that way?  No...but ageism is a reality in our society.  Personally, I'm both too cheap and too lazy to maintain a dye job.  It takes time, effort, and a lot of money to keep up with growing roots, damaged hair, etc.  I choose to skip it all!

Since Delilah, women's identities have been intertwined with their hair.  What do my white racing stripes say about me?  I've lived my life, I've earned every white hair...and I wouldn't change a thing!!

And those are my random thoughts this morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest