Monday, August 1, 2011

Division of Labor

A poll was recently released stating that men are now doing more of the household chores.  Where?  Who is he?  I have to wonder!!

This new trend has not hit my house.  Even in this "enlightened" age, my household is still divided along mostly traditional lines.  I take care of everything inside, and the Hubby handles the big stuff outside along with the vehicles.  True, he's a mechanic, so that last part only makes sense!

But honestly, Hubby hasn't done a load of laundry in 16 years!  And the dishwasher?  I don't think he even knows how to put the soap in it or start it!  Giving him full credit, if we have a big event coming up he does take over doing the floors for me.  I've never actually seen him dust anything...hmmm.

And this begs the question...Is the division of labor a generational issue?  Because we're older, were we raised to be this way?  Or is it genetically embedded?  Does it go all the way back to the caveman who hunted (outside) while the cavewoman raised the children in the cave (inside)? 

The traditional division of labor works for us.  It may not work for everyone and it is obviously changing.  How does it work in your home?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest