A take on French Onion soup adding that all-important staple...BACON!!
8 slices bacon
8 medium onions
1. Saute bacon, diced, until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and set aside.
2. In the fat remaining in the pan, saute onions, thinly sliced, until tender. Remove onions from pan and discard fat from pan.
3. Return onions to the pan with 5 cups water and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Line the bottom of a casserole with thin slices of French bread. Cover the bread with a layer of grated Parmesan. Sprinkle two tablespoons of heavy cream over the cheese and add a layer of diced bacon. Repeat.
5. Add the hot onion soup to the casserole dish. Heat in a hot (400 degree) oven for 5 to 10 minutes.