Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Women of a Certain Age

I've noticed a phenomena lately when I've been out in public.  Now it may be just me, but I've wondered if it happens to other women also.

Let me start by saying I'm not a small woman.  Well, I am weight-wise...the term "skinny bitch" has been used to describe me on more occasions than I can count.  But I'm 5'9"...not short by any means.

That being said, why am I constantly run into, run over, knocked out of the way at grocery stores, retail outlets, etc.?  I mean, physically...like people can't even see that I'm standing there?  Add to that, trying to get a clerk's or waitress' attention.  It's almost an impossibility.

Has our society been so trained to focus only on the young and beautiful that people actually fade away as they age?   I only have about six weeks left in that all-important demographic of 18-49 year-olds.  What happens when I hit the big 50?  Do I disappear?

Marketing for women who are aging is almost exclusively limited to anti-aging products and life insurance.  We are at the point in our lives when we have the most discretionary income and more free time.  A person would think we would be a marketer's dream!  Why the assumption that we are solely focused on either how we look or when we're going to die?

And fashion?  Oh, don't get me started!!  Why are my only choices a mini skirt or a housecoat?  Why is the assumption that just because I'm more mature, I don't want to look as hot as I possible can?  I'm old...I'm not dead yet!

I'm taking a stand!  I'm still here, still breathing!!  I'm not invisible!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest