Thursday, February 23, 2012

Approaching The Big 5-0

For the last couple months, I've been wishing my high school classmates a happy birthday on their 50th.  Now my own is rapidly approaching.  How did this happen?

To be honest, I don't feel 50.  I weigh the same now as I did in high school, I'm still active, and I don't feel like I'm ready to switch to the early bird special.  You're more likely to catch me wearing stilettos than flats and skinny jeans versus a housecoat.  When did the half-century mark sneak up on me?

When I was in my 20's, I couldn't even picture living to this age.  I don't feel any different now than I did then.  I will admit I'm a lot harder, a lot less innocent, and a lot more distrustful than I once was.  But those are the lessons of life in general.  I also believe I've learned to love more and harder, to treasure what I have now instead of what might be, and to be grateful for every moment I'm given.

So I have to say, all in all, turning 50 doesn't seem to be so bad.  Now I'm not saying I buy into that "50 is the new 30" blah, blah, blah.  It's not.  I'm not turning 30...I'm going to be 50.  The road ahead is now a lot shorter than the road behind.  That road still holds adventures, love, excitement, and hope.  I look forward to the rest of the journey.

Love,
Jerri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest