Thursday, April 26, 2012

Bigger Isn't Always Better

Alright...get your minds out of the gutter!!  I'm actually talking about the size of your home!!

I was watching House Hunters on HGTV the other day.  I love that channel...I love the ideas I get and the opportunity to peek into other people's homes.  What I don't understand is the burning desire of new homeowners to have huge homes (and mortgages) when they are just starting out.

There was one in particular that just floored me.  It was a young couple with a newborn looking for at least 2600 square feet because "they had a child now and needed the room".  Really?  Just how much room does a family of three need?

My first thought was that they'll now spend all of their spare time cleaning, maintaining, and working to pay for that home rather than spending extra time with their baby.  The same baby who was supposedly the motivation for needing all that square footage.  They'll be working every moment to pay that maximum mortgage they could afford.

Bigger isn't always better.  There is truth to the old adage that quality means more than quantity.  With the wisdom of age and of course 20/20 hindsight, I wish I could talk to these young families and share that time spent with your family is infinitely more valuable than time spent working on the yard.  Bigger and better will come, but don't let it be at the expense of the joy of the here and now.

And those are my random thoughts this morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest