Monday, July 23, 2012

Faith

I spent this past weekend in the beautiful city of New Orleans.  While there, I took a Haunted Spirit tour which included a visit to the grave of Marie Laveau.

If you are unfamiliar with her, she was a Voodoo priestess in New Orleans.  To this day, people visit her tomb, leaving offerings.


What struck me the most was people's need to believe that someone somewhere could affect their lives.  Whether Marie Laveau, God, or Buddha...there is a common belief system that says if you ask, if you give an offering...you may receive a favor or what you wish for.  These offerings at Marie Laveau's grave are no different from the candles lit in a Catholic church or the prayers offered up in a Protestant one.

As I left the gravesite, I offered up a prayer of my own to whomever was listening.  I prayed that the ones who left offerings find what they are looking for and that they find peace.  I don't know if Marie was listening, but I hope someone was.

And those are my random thoughts this morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest