Monday, December 3, 2012

Roof Over Your Head

Today is National Roof Over Your Head Day.  No one is quite sure of the origin for this day and it's not an official day in any jurisdiction.  It is a reminder to be grateful for that roof currently over your head and be aware of those who don't have that luxury.

For myself and countless other women, a divorce can bring the realization of just what a luxury a home really is.  To suddenly lose your home of years, to not know where you are going to go, steals your sense of security.  You feel lost and off-balance, scared and alone.

For women especially, losing your home can also shred part of your very identity.  We pour so much of ourselves in to the decorating of our home, spend countless hours and unending energy to make it a haven for our families.  When it's taken from you in a divorce, it takes a large chunk of who you are.

Even though it's been almost a year since I lost my home, I still don't feel safe.  I don't think I will until I have somewhere that is my own...that I can't be evicted from, kicked out of, or have it ripped out from under me.  It's a horrible feeling to live with every day but it's also a powerful motivator.  I will feel safe again...with a roof over my head.

Love,
Jerri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest