Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Three Branches

I think one of the things that has caught my attention this election season (besides the utter lack of civility and respect) is the lack of knowledge most people seem to have about how our government functions.

I have seen so many posts on various social media showing people's misconceptions on what each branch of government does, is responsible for, and has absolutely no power to accomplish.  Honestly, I'm not sure if it is actual ignorance of the Constitution or just people caught up in political rhetoric.

For a brief reminder, the three branches are Executive, Legislative, and Judicial.  Each has separate powers granted by the Constitution.  Does anyone remember their civics lessons from elementary school?  If not, here's a refresher lesson from Schoolhouse Rock:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_foQoCHQq8

From some of the statements and assumptions I've seen...I believe there is a true need for Schoolhouse Rock to be re-aired immediately!!!

Whether red or blue, conservative or liberal, male or female, white or black...the hate, fear, and ignorance being expressed in this election will only result in one outcome...the American people lose.  Education is, and always has been the answer.

And those are my random thoughts this morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest