Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Writer's Block

Today I had an assignment that really threw me for a loop.  I had to write an essay.  Yep, I had to write.  You would think that would be a breeze for me.  But no....I sat staring at a blank screen for hours!

Why?  The essay had to be narrative.  Writing dialogue is NOT something I do on a daily basis.  Or a monthly basis, or a yearly basis, etc.  I had no idea how much I would struggle with it.

I didn't struggle with the actual words; in fact, I used a real-life situation.  I had a much more difficult time writing the words surrounding the dialogue.  What we say doesn't just hang out there in a vacuum.  There is a setting where they take place, there are emotions taking place behind the words, and there is a circumstance that prompted the dialogue.  Those were the words I struggle to write.

This essay was a valuable lesson for me.  Like many other aspiring writers, I hope I have the next great American novel in me somewhere.  Now I can write the dialogue.

Love,
Jerri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest