Monday, December 19, 2016

Here's My Vote

I have waited quite a bit of time after the election to do this post.  I needed time to gather my thoughts and attempt to tamp my fear.  Today is the day the Electoral College gathers to vote and holds the future of our nation in their hands.

I have seen numerous posts by people attesting that their vote doesn't make them racist, a bigot, or sexist.  Please allow the opportunity to share what a large number of Americans see when they see your pride in your vote for President-Elect Trump.

The Republicans have voted down the last eight bills to increase funding for the Veterans Administration.

You said:  Here is my vote.  This is how I want veterans treated in my country.

The Republicans have voted down the last seven attempts to pass the Equal Pay Act.

You said:  Here is my vote.  I want my daughters and granddaughters to know their worth is only three-quarters that of a man in my country.

Vice-President Elect Pence believes in conversion therapy, including repeated electrocution, to "turn" gay citizens straight.

You said:  Here is my vote.  I believe gay citizens should be subjected to torture in my country.

President-Elect Trump mocked a disabled reporter.

You said:  Here is my vote.  This is the way I want disabled citizens treated in my country.

President-Elect Trump demeaned, disparaged, and insulted women on multiple occasions.

You said:  Here is my vote.  I want my daughters and granddaughters to be treated this way in my country.

President-Elect Trump proposed registration of Muslims and referenced "rounding them up."

You said:  Here is my vote.  I want my country to follow the same path as Nazi Germany.

President-Elect Trump called Mexicans "criminals and rapists."

You said:  Here is my vote.  This is the way I want my country to treat those of color.

Every United States intelligence agency has affirmed that Russian hackers interfered in the 2016 Presidential Election.

You said:  Absolutely nothing.  I am completely comfortable with a foreign power determining the future of my country.

You are not being judged by your vote.  You are being judged by your willingness to accept these behaviors.  To believe any less is disingenuous at best.  To state that you don't believe these things is belied by the fact that you took your vote, the most precious of our rights as United States citizens, and used that vote to say these exact things.

I have friends and family in the LGBT community.  I now live in fear.  

I have granddaughters.  I now live in fear.

I have friends and family in the Latino community, the Black community, and the Asian-American community.  I now live in fear.

I, and so many I love, are veterans.  I now live in fear.

With your vote, you endorsed the actions causing this fear.  

In truth, your vote has become your mirror.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest