Thursday, November 29, 2012

Happy Holidays

Every year around this time, you begin to see people complaining about the use of "Happy Holidays" versus "Merry Christmas".  Personally, I don't have a problem with the use of "Happy Holidays".  Allow me to explain.

Why "Happy Holidays"?  Simply put, Christmas isn't the only holiday at this time of year.  You also have Yule, Kwanzaa, and Chanukkah.  Christianity is not the only religion whose major holiday occurs in December.

Is it arrogance that has people assuming it's Christmas and only Christmas?  I don't think so.  I believe it's just too easy to click a share button or re-tweet without taking that extra few seconds to think.

Is it deliberate disrespect to friends and neighbors?  I don't believe it's that reason either.  I think that people live in their own little bubbles and rarely look outside.  It's more a matter of ignorance than discrimination.

I will continue to use "Happy Holidays".  I will also use "Merry Christmas", "Happy Chanukkah", "Happy Kwanzaa", and "Blessed Yule".  I know there's probably still some holidays I missed and for that, my sincere apologies!

And those are my random thoughts this morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest