Thursday, July 11, 2013

Culture Shock

Moving after my divorce was an adventure all in itself.  Then there is the culture shock of moving from a city of almost one million to a town of less than 45,000.

Every once in a while I'm reminded of just what a difference there is between the two.  Chinese delivery?  Nope...if you want something delivered here, it's pizza.  Period.  Shopping?  Let's just say that there are quite a few stores I miss!!

There are the benefits, also.  While it used to take up to 45 minutes to go 5 miles, around here I can do it in less than fifteen.  I know my cashier at the grocery store by name.  The manager at the Family Dollar lets me know if something I regularly buy is on sale.  If my UPS driver sees me out and has something for me, he will pull over to deliver it then and there.

When I got my new driver's license, I was in and out of the DMV in under 20 minutes.  Total.  The last time I went to the DMV in my old city...it was over three hours.  Truly, when it comes to fast, personal service...a small town just cannot be beat.

While I miss my Chinese delivery, the benefits of living in a much smaller city far outweigh the downfalls.  I'm still adjusting...but I love it!!

Love,
Jerri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest