Domestic violence is not a new issue. Here are a few statistics:
- Every 15 seconds, a woman is abused in the United States.
- Women who leave their abuser are at a 75% greater risk of being murdered.
- 1 in 4 women in the United States have been beaten by their significant other.
- 4000 women a year in the United States are murdered by their significant other, former or current.
- 1 in 3 women murdered in the United States are murdered by their significant other, former or current.
Why did I quote statistics? Because I am so incredibly, all-encompassing angry. By quoting stats, I'm hoping to gain a bit of distance and a bit of control.
I remember the first time my friend left her husband. We worked in a small office and we all came together to gather supplies to help her set up her new household. I don't know what kind of spell or hold he had over her; but it ultimately cost her her life. And I'm angry. At the same time, I don't want to give him that kind of power by allowing my anger to grow. He does not deserve that time or energy.
I have struggled all day with this post. There are no words that are adequate.
To my friend...You will be missed. Rest in peace...there will be no more hurt.