Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Hard Work

This is something that has been bothering me for a while. On Election Night, I saw a friend post something that not only illustrated the huge divide in this country, but also something that I believe to be so arrogant and dismissive.  

She had posted that Trump had won because hard-working people got out and voted.

Read that again.

The inference in that statement is that those who did not vote for Trump are the opposite.  Really?  I am an Independent voter.  I work a full-time job.  I just quit my part-time job a week ago.  I also post on this blog five days a week.  In addition, those sites on the Moneymakers tab, I work those sites seven days a week to earn extra money.  I also work on mTurk when I can but not as often as I should.  But according to her reasoning, I'm not hard-working.  According to her, I am less than her because somehow my vote equals how hard I work.

At last count, Hillary Clinton had more than two million popular votes than Donald Trump.  If her reasoning was to hold true, over 50% of the registered voters in this nation do not work hard.  Funny, we live in an amazing country for being one in which less than half the population work hard.

At its most basic level, her post illuminates the elitism and classism that dominated the election.  I do not see the behavior of looking down on those you deem "less" than you ending; at least not during the incoming administration.

Love,
Jerri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest