Tuesday, January 14, 2014

2013-A Year of Gain and Growth

Yesterday I shared my losses of 2013.  Today I want to share the gains and growth I've experienced in the past year.

I have gained self-confidence.  Starting college at age 50 is a terrifying thing.  I've learned to trust in myself and my own abilities.  This is a much bigger thing that it sounds, as my divorce completely destroyed my self-confidence.  It's back...and so am I.

I have grown strong.  Not physically, but emotionally strong.  I am no longer willing to be treated as less than what I am worth.  It may seem I have grown hard, but that is merely my refusal to tolerate those who feel the need to criticize, demean, or diminish me in any way.  I no longer have the time or patience.  I now know I am good enough.

I have grown braver.  I drive farther, do more things alone, and handle things I never did before.  A lot of that grew out of the aftermath of divorce; but some grew as the result of my growing self-confidence.  Bravery is a self-replicating phenomenon.  The more you exhibit the behavior, the more it grows.

While I have gained and grown much in the past year, I still have a long way to go.  I hope you will join me on my continuing journey...it's going to be a hell of a ride!!

Love,
Jerri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest