Monday, January 13, 2014

2013- A Year of Loss

What a year.  2013 was a year of incredible loss for me.

I lost my beloved aunt/godmother.  She was that person in my life that one believes will always be there.  As I age, I realize more and more just how tenuous our hold on this live truly is and how the absence of just one can impact your life.  I miss her every day.

I lost my buddy, my black lab, Max.  He blessed me with 16 years of unconditional love.  I got him as a rescue at 8 months old.  A typical lab puppy, one of his first misadventures was eating the wall off my house.  All through my divorce and move to a new state, Max was my steady, loving companion.  When he left, a hole opened that will take forever to heal.

I lost a friend to domestic violence.  She was murdered by her abuser.  She did everything right.  She moved.  She got the restraining order.  He found her anyways and that piece of paper doesn't stop a man with the intent to kill.  In the United States, a woman is beaten every 18 minutes.  In less time than it takes you to watch a sitcom, a woman is in fear for her life.

I lost a friendship to a betrayal of a confidence.  Once the trust has been destroyed, the rock on which that friendship was built disintegrates into sand that washes away.  At this stage of my life, I have learned to let that sand slip through my fingers.  Those that wish to be in my life are here and those who do not...I wish them godspeed.

While 2013 has been a year of heartwrenching loss, it has also been a year of gain and growth.  More on that tomorrow!!

Love,
Jerri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest