Thursday, March 24, 2011

e-Readers and Books

I am the thoroughly enthralled owner of a nook.  It wasn't an immediate love affair...I entered the e-reading world with a bit of trepidation.  Was I really going to be able to give up the physical satisfaction of holding a book in my hands?  That first audible crack of the spine when you open a brand new hardback?  I honestly wasn't sure.

It took about two weeks for me to realize that the benefits to the e-reader far outweighed my worries.  For one, I was terrified that the amount of books I owned was going to overwhelm me!!  We don't have the largest home, and the amount of actual space taken up by my books was rapidly approaching critical mass.  Not to mention the glares from my husband every time he had to put another (really heavy) case of books in the attic.  The ability to carry 1500 books in the palm of my hand?  An incredible clutter-buster!!

I travel whenever possible and always build some down time into my trips to relax and read.  Needless to say, the ability to just throw my e-reader into my purse is a huge benefit!!  I read at a pretty rapid rate and can finish a bestseller in less than a day.  I love having new books to read without having to settle for whatever is in an airport gift shop because I finished what I had with me!

All that being said, there are still books I have to have in traditional form.  I'm not thrilled with cookbooks on the e-reader...I'm old, I need them propped up in front of my failing vision!!  I also have my design and craft books.  Patterns and instructions need to be seen in full page format.  Not to mention, some patterns need to be copied and printed...not possible with an e-reader!!

I've also kept books that mean a lot to me.  My leather bound edition of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  The set of Sookie Stackhouse novels that a dear friend gave me to read during my recovery after my lumpectomy.  All of my signed editions.  So I will always have a bookcase...just not 5 of them!!

As I said, I own the nook.  I'm also planning on adding a Kindle.  There are books available on Amazon that are not available on Barnes and Noble and vice versa.  Also, each retailer offers free books that the other doesn't.  In order to take full advantage, I need both!!

P.S.  After informing my husband I wanted a Kindle also...he is actively searching for a gadget junkie rehab!!

4 comments:

  1. Nice! I wasn't aware of the difference between the Kindle and the Nook. Also that makes great sense what you said about the cookbooks and craft books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot, my sweet, excellent points! However, I have far too many rooms to populate with beloved hardbacks... shan't submit to the eBook yet and if I get much older, won't be able to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And thanks for adding me to your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah.. I had considered buying an e-reader and like you I was a little trepidatious, cuz I love the feel and smell of a book. I also have about 6 bookcases and a dozen boxes filled with books, so when I got my iPad i was excited cause I could download Kindle and Nook onto it and a generic e-reader for Apples bookstore. I still buy those certain books you can't live without. I do use my iPad for cooking because it larger that a kindle or nook and can be propped up with the "Smart Cover"I bought with it!

    ReplyDelete

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest