Friday, March 18, 2011

In Praise of Girlfriends

One of the things I've discovered as an empty nester is time.  Time for things I enjoy, time that isn't filled with activities, permission slips, and shuttle service.  Now to fill that time.

I walk 5k events for charity.  My husband will circle a parking lot five times to find the closest space.  So I walk with girlfriends.  It gives us the opportunity to serve the community, get our exercise, and catch up on our lives.  A win-win situation for everyone!

I enjoy plays, concerts, festivals, antiquing, shopping, and traveling.  All of which my husband despises!!  Invite him to a concert and you get a look that clearly says he'd rather have a root canal.  Kind of the way I look at him when he talks about hunting and fishing!  So I enjoy these activities with my girlfriends.  And my husband has stated on multiple occasions how thankful HE is for my girlfriends...so he doesn't have to go!!

A girlfriend will listen no matter what time you call or how long you ramble on.  A girlfriend will tell you "Yes, your ass DOES look fat in that!".  A girlfriend understands when you're hormonal and knows how to ride the wave along with you.  Sorry, gentlemen...running and ducking for cover does NOT constitute understanding!  Intelligence, yes...Understanding, no.

A girlfriend asks what you're reading...and recommendations follow within 24 hours!  A girlfriend will split the dessert with you...so that the calories don't count!  A girlfriend knows the missteps you've made and loves you anyways.  A girlfriend will raise hell by your side and call you on your b.s. when necessary.

There is a quotation that I love:


“A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.”


And that describes a girlfriend.  I am honored and blessed to have them in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest