Monday, April 16, 2012

3 Out Of 4

It's estimated that three out of four female murder victims are killed by their significant other.  That means 75% are murdered by the very men who claim to love them.

I am a survivor of domestic abuse.  Every time I look in the mirror, I see the two inch scar on my face as an ever-present reminder of just how much love can hurt.  And I was a lucky one...I got out alive.

Over time, the scar has faded.  In fact, if you ask any of my friends...they couldn't tell you if I even had a scar or which eye it's under.  Of course, that may have something to do with the wrinkles it is rapidly disappearing in to on my rapidly aging face!  The memory will never fade.  It is decades old but makes me fearful and distrustful to this very day.  I'm sure other survivors will tell you the same.  Your guard is always up and the walls built out of that scar tissue are tall and thick.

Even so, that scar is nothing compared to the pain of the families who have lost someone to domestic violence. There is a hole in their lives that nothing can ever fill.  The pain and what-if's last a lifetime.

If you are in that situation, get out.  However, whenever you can, there are resources to help you escape.  Use them.  If you think you see someone in that situation, your instincts are probably correct.  Do not remain silent.  Silence is what allows domestic violence to flourish.

Stand up.  Speak out.

Love,
Jerri

1 comment:

  1. National Domestic Violence Hotline--1-800-799-SAFE or go to www.thehotline.org.

    ReplyDelete

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest