Friday, April 15, 2011

The Classics

I was yakking with a girlfriend the other night, discussing what books we had on our respective e-readers.  I've taken advantage of the free books I can find and my e-reader is loaded with the classics alongside whatever murder mystery is the flavor of the moment.  As we were talking, I mentioned Jane Eyre and my friend said she had never read it.  Amazed, I asked if she was sure, that she hadn't read it in school?  She said never.  I then asked about The Count of Monte Cristo, A Tale of Two Cities, and Wuthering Heights.  Again, the answer was no.  Now my friend is a prolific reader, with not only an e-reader, but the apps also available on her laptop and on her phone so she's never without a book to read.

I have to admit I felt a sense of pity for her.  God bless my parents for providing me with the classics as a child.  I have no doubt this fostered the ravenous reading habit I have today.  And I keep the classics on my e-reader so I can re-read them and appreciate them over and over again.  When I finish the latest best seller, I archive it and remove it from my reading list.  Not so with my classics...they are always there.

Hopefully, some of my encouragement (nagging) got through and she'll download some classics to enjoy.  Speaking of which, I think I'll grab my e-reader...Pride and Prejudice awaits.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore it!! I have the nook. I thought when I first got it that I would miss the physical feel of a book, but I got over that pretty quick when I realized I could throw the nook in my purse and carry 600 books wherever I was going!!

    ReplyDelete

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest