Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Revolving Door

When I returned home from the Air Force, my father had one rule to impart.  "The door is always open...just know it's not a revolving door."

Does that still hold true today?  With the economy in the toilet, jobs scarce, and housing costs in the stratosphere...is it possible to permanently empty the nest?

I struggle with this.  My heart wants my children close.  My brain tells me if they don't fall, they'll never learn to get back up.  But where do you draw the line?  What crisis is large enough to break the rules and bring them home?

I'm the softie, Hubby is the rock.  And when this particular situation arises, I do defer to him to make the final decision.  It may be the chicken's way out...but I know my limitations and I know I will cave.  He won't.  And I rely on that strength to stand strong.

So what is your stand?  Is the door always open or only in dire straits?  How do you stand strong?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest