Monday, December 19, 2011

Blue Christmas

I made it to the finish line.  All the gifts are completed, wrapped, and shipped.  And then my complete Christmas came completely unraveled.

My youngest son is leaving Tuesday to take a job on the other side of the state.  Now, in most states, this wouldn't be a big deal.  But this is Texas which means he will be 9 1/2 hours away.  Not a trip that can be taken on a whim or even a weekend.  I won't see him for months.

He is the child who spends the most time at home on the holiday.  With his absence, that means all of the carefully laid plans are out the window.  His older brother will cut his time at home even shorter knowing his little brother won't be there.

The worst part of an empty nest?  When the chicks fly so far from home.  I'm still a mom, regardless of the empty nest.  I still want my children close...just not in my house.  To have one leave and go so far just days before Christmas has my heart hurting.

My merry Christmas has turned blue this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest