Friday, May 17, 2013

Fast Thinking

The other day, I made an incredibly frugal dinner.  How?  I got lucky.  I happened to be in the grocery store and pre-seasoned leg quarters were marked down to $2.50.  Okay, there's the meat part of dinner...done!  Wandering around the store, I also found chicken flavored noodles on sale for $1.00.  One side...done!  Using some vegetables I already had and some cookie mix I had won in a giveaway; I managed to put dinner  for two on the table for under $5 dollars.

Does that happen all the time?  No...though I wish it did.  I used to pride myself on meals under $1 per serving.  With the way prices have increased in the last decade or so, that is almost an impossibility now.  But if you think fast when you find a great deal, you can still put a meal together for a frugal price.

Obviously, this will be more difficult for those that only eat organic, or paleo, or Atkins, or name-brand.  My budget, quite honestly, does not allow for anything exotic!!  But good, hot food is on the dinner table including a dessert.  I do what I can with what I have.

All it really takes to make a frugal dinner?  Fast thinking when you come across a bargain at the grocery store.  I know all of you are excellent at that!!

Love,
Jerri


No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest