Thursday, May 16, 2013

My First Time

Alright, people...get your minds out of the gutter!!  Not THAT first time!  Seriously...what am I going to do with you??

Actually, last week was my first bone density test.  For women over 50, it's a test to determine if we are suffering from, or beginning to suffer from osteoporosis or osteopenia.

I had never had the test before and was a bit apprehensive as I hadn't the slightest clue what it entailed.  Turns out it was the easiest test ever!  You simply lay on a bed and the dexa scanner moves over your body.  It takes film of your lower back and hips as those are the first locations that show signs of bone loss.

Perfectly painless, it took only about fifteen minutes for the entire test.  I don't have my results yet, but I do know I'm at a higher risk due to my smoking.  Sigh...yes, I know better.

We'll see how it turns out!  Stay tuned!

Love,
Jerri

UPDATE:  Just received the phone call from the doctor.  Thankfully, my spine is just fine.  Hips?  Not so much.  I have osteopenia in both hips and I am at risk for fracture in both.  Sigh...I'll be starting supplements to increase my Calcium and Vitamin D.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest