Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Generation Gap

One of the most noticeable things about my first semester in college was the obvious generation gap.  I'm not speaking of just age (though that was DEFINITELY there!) but the difference in attitude.

I don't take this opportunity I've been given lightly.  I treasure each second I'm in school and I realize the immense value of my education.  I've been given the chance to start my life over again and I am deeply cognizant of the blessing in my life.

There were quite a few kids (meaning those in their early twenties) in my classes who seemed to treat that same opportunity as a joke.  They frequently came to class late, slept through class, texted through class, or just didn't bother showing up at all.  The general demeanor seemed to be that it just didn't matter.

As a mom, I seriously wanted to shake some sense in to them!  I wanted them to know not to squander the chance.  More than anything, I didn't want them to be me.  I didn't want them to just be starting at age 50.  Their entire life is ahead of them and this is the way it should begin.

Not all of the younger students fall in to this category.  I met quite a few that realize how important education is and were working incredibly hard, all while working and raising children.  Many of them were single mothers intent on bettering their lives and those of their children.  It was awe inspiring.

One last note:  For the love of all that is holy...do NOT go to school in pajama pants!!!

Love,
Jerri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest