Friday, February 12, 2016

Frugal Friday -- Cheap Eats

This week's tip is one I use and I also have quite a few friends who do the same.  Give it a try, it may work for you, also!

Walmart roasts and sells rotisserie chickens.  Early in the morning, they mark down the chickens left from the day before.  In my area, they are marked down to just $2.49, though it may vary where you are.  I frequently buy a couple to "beef" up my weekly menu plan.

Once I get them home, I debone them.  This gives me chicken to be used in a variety of dishes. Some menu ideas include chicken fettuccine alfredo, chicken salad, chicken quesadillas, chicken and dumplings, etc., etc., etc.  You get the idea!

If you don't have a chicken dinner planned, debone and stick the meat in your freezer.  Another way I like to use it is to warm the chicken pieces with some taco seasoning and make chicken tacos. Tortillas are considered a staple in my house so it's a quick, easy meal.  To add even more protein, spread some refried beans on the tortilla before you put the chicken in.  Bonus tip:  If you spread refried beans on your tortilla and place your pieces of meat into the beans, it keeps the meat from falling out while you're eating!

If you think $2.49 is too much to pay for a whole chicken, consider this.  It is already cooked with both time and energy savings.  The only prep time the chicken will take, no matter the dish, is the initial deboning of the chicken.  The chicken will also be slightly (and I mean slightly) seasoned as rotisserie chickens keep most of their seasoning on the skin, which you remove while deboning.  As you have already removed the skin, that's also calories saved!

Next time you are at Walmart, check right next to the deli for the discounted rotisserie chickens.  You won't regret it!

Love,
Jerri


No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest