Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The Perfect Medium

In real life, I am an introvert.  I am perfectly happy at home alone with my dog and a good book.  I rarely feel the need to be out in social situations and tend to avoid large crowds as much as possible.  I probably border on agoraphobic but for the fact I still have to get out and go to work every day.

That is why social media such as Facebook is the perfect medium for introverts.  It allows us to socialize, keep in touch with friends and family, and be a part of the larger world.

It also allows us the luxury of doing so in our sweats or yoga pants, make-up free, with a death grip on our coffee mug.  When the outside world gets too overwhelming, all we have to do is close the laptop, silence the phone, and the outside world disappears.

I have seen numerous articles, ezines, and talking heads emphatically stating that social media causes disconnect.  I respectfully disagree.  For an introvert, it is the perfect medium.  Introverts can interact to their comfort level and withdraw when that level is exceeded.  It is not that easy to physically withdraw from social gatherings in the real world!!

And yes...I'm in my yoga pants!

Love,
Jerri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest