Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Hard Habit to Break

What if the bad habit you are trying to break is actually a person?  Like the song says, sometimes an actual person can be "a hard habit to break."  

We all have or have had people in our lives who drag us down, bring drama in, or are just generally bad for us.  Yet something keeps us from breaking that bad habit.

Love is probably the the most common factor holding someone in such a situation.  For me, personally, I tend to believe that everyone has good in their core.  It is difficult for me to comprehend that some people are truly despicable.  I find myself giving chance after chance even when it comes at my expense.

How to break this hard habit?  The best method I have found is distance.  Whether emotional or actual geographical distance, I find it to be the most effective route to eliminating that particular bad habit.

Geographical distance leads to 'out of sight, out of mind."  The process still takes time, but having the habit out of proximity assists in the breakage.  Emotional distance requires a conscious decision and willpower to close the drawer on a particular situation and refuse to open it again.

How do you break a bad habit when that habit is actually a living, breathing person?  Share your tips and tricks.

Love,
Jerri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest