Tuesday, September 15, 2015

30-day Blogging Challenge: Day 14

Day 14:  What is your earliest memory?

One of my earliest memories is from my early childhood.  I was living with my grandparents at the time and I was my grandpa's shadow.

On a Saturday, we would travel to downtown Milwaukee to get fresh lunchmeat from the Usinger's factory.  At least, I think it was Usinger's...it could have been Oscar Mayer.  Whichever it was, it was located in an old bank building because I do remember walking up to what my memory says was a n old teller type window to place our order.

On each trip, my Grandpa would get me a hot dog.  I would eat it uncooked and Grandpa would tell me every time that it wasn't a hot dog...it was a cold puppy as it hadn't been cooked yet!  Nowadays, parents would faint if they saw their child eating an uncooked hot dog!  I believe my Grandma never knew about the little snack either!

Years later, when I was overseas in the Air Force, Grandpa would still gather up candy and other treats to send me.  He even went as far as picking out all the black jelly beans (which I hate!) before sending an Easter box.  

I miss Grandpa terribly.  To this day, he is the man against whom all others are measured.

Love,
Jerri


No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest