Monday, July 18, 2011

The Last Time

Saturday, I had lunch with a couple of girlfriends.  For one, it was a retirement lunch from the job where we first met each other a couple of decades ago.

Part of the reason for her reluctant retirement is her health.  She's been told she will be on dialysis by the end of the year.  As a widow, her children don't want her living alone once that process begins.  So she's moving, leaving town to join her daughter's household.

And with those health problems comes the realization that Saturday's lunch may well have been the last time I would be with my friend.  And as that thought sinks in, my mind is whirling with questions.

Did I let her know how much I cared about her?  Did I hug her hard enough when we parted?  We were at the restaurant for two and a half hours.  Does she realize it's because we wanted to be with her?  Does she know I love her?

We will be keeping in touch via email once she moves.  And I will use those emails as opportunities to make sure she knows.

And those are my random thoughts this morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest