Friday, July 8, 2011

A Sense of Wonder

I've been seeing postings and news blurbs all morning about the final launch of the space shuttle.  I'll be watching.  I clearly remember my dad waking us up at 4 a.m. to watch the Apollo missions take off.  Yes, I'm that old.  My dad had an air of excitement and joy about each launch and I'm happy that I've inherited that from him.

As a nation, we seem to have become blase about these events.  They're still incredible feats of engineering and bravery.  Yes, bravery.  These men and women are strapping themselves onto a rocket!!!  And outer space?  Truly the final frontier!

On the 4th of July, all fireworks were cancelled here in Austin due to the drought.  In their place, Hubby and I raced outside at precisely 9:08 p.m. and watched the space station cross the sky.  It only took about 90 seconds (that thing hauls butt!) but it was an amazing sight to see!

So hang on to your sense of wonder!  I've been called innocent and naive for my enjoyment in different experiences.  That's okay with me!  I would much prefer that to potentially missing out on something wonderful!  And yes, my grown children roll their eyes sometimes when I drag them to something new I've found.  That's okay, too!  At some point, these will be their memories.

In the words of Aerosmith...."I don't want to miss a thing."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest