Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Change of Plans Part Two

Social media is an amazing thing.  When the scroll came across my TV Sunday night about the impending announcement; I, like millions of others, immediately went online to see what was going on.  Twitter and Facebook were both blowing up with the news an hour before the official announcement from the White House. The immediacy of the news and access to it are a marvel that is to be appreciated.

But along with the news comes not only beautiful sentiments, but hate-filled diatribe, insensitive jokes, and political backlash.  This is the ugly side of social media and it was in full display yesterday all over the web.  I've personally had to delete a post from my Facebook page due to responses being filled with such.  I have friends on Facebook who are minors...it is not appropriate for them to see and I will always do my best to shield them from such.

This is not saying we should not be proud of our President and our military for a job well done.  But that is exactly what it was.  Their job.  The Navy Seals are among the best of the best and any praise and congratulations are well deserved.  But that praise can be expressed without crossing the line.

The following quote has been posted all over.  The first part of the quote is of unknown origin but the second half comes from Dr. King.  This is what I keep in mind during this time.

I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. 

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction." Martin Luther King Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest