Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sadness in the Empty Nest

While having an empty nest opens up a new world of opportunities and adventures, it does come with a side of sadness.  This past weekend, Clarence Clemons "The Big Man" passed away.  Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band have always been in my Top 5 as far as favorite artists go and this just broke my heart.

When you enter the empty-nester phase of life, you realize that the funerals now outnumber the weddings.  That reports of hospitalizations for illness have exceed the reports of joyous births.  People whose talents you have enjoyed for years now take those talents to another plain.

Knowing this is inevitable doesn't make it easier.  It is hard to acknowledge that time brings loss.  But as I grieve for the loss of those both near and far from me, I'll hang on just that much tighter to the ones still here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest