Monday, June 13, 2011

Toxic

No...not the Britney Spears song!  Today, I'm talking about those people in your life that seem to spread poison wherever they go.

As I've entered the empty nest phase of my life, I've realized that I no longer have the time, energy, or patience to have such people in my life.  To be honest, I have never understand why some people expend that kind of energy on being miserable and/or hateful.  Why?  What does it gain for you?

In all honesty, I have, in the past, gone out of my way to try to make such people happy.  And I've learned the hard way that they just don't want to be.  If they can say a harsh word, they will.  If they can spread hate, they do.  It's frequently cloaked as "I'm just being honest" or "I just tell it like it is".  Guess what, folks?  That does not excuse hate and cruelty!!

There's an old saying that anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.  For anger, you can also substitute resentment, hostility, hate, cruelty, etc.  Why would anyone want to live that life?

So if any of the above are what you're selling...keep moving.  I'm not buying.

2 comments:

  1. Great Post! I agree with you completely. I hate being around people who bring me down. Although I kid around a lot about being old and feeling old since all the kids moved out, I am actually getting a lot of things done that I hadn't been able to before due to time constraints. I am enjoying this phase of my life. Not cooking for an army, and doing the things I enjoy.
    Laura
    pumpedoncaffeine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly my point, Laura!! I've got way too much to do to waste my time on toxic drama!!

    ReplyDelete

Like

Jerri's Empty Nest